330 Miles!


Going downhill was no picnic. It was muddy and very rocky which meant that you had to take it slow and steady. A twisted ankle or broken bone out here isn't something you want to experience.



It was about 6:45pm when we finally exited the woods at Spivey Gap. We did it! 21.9 miles all in one day. Thanks to a little chafing and some new blisters, we were both beginning to walk funny at this point. I've now hiked over 330 miles of the AT and it was awesome sharing this last hike with Colin. He is an incredible young man and I can't wait to explore more of the trail with him in the years ahead.

 We had earlier in the day discussed possible trail names for us both, but nothing really stuck. Colin and his buddies often refer to me as "Smooth Mike" and he tried to convince me to accept that as my trail name. I would like to think that "Smooth" is a reference to my overall cool demeanor....but in reality it has more to do with my preference in peanut butter. Oh well, the perfect trail name search continues!

By the way, here is a link to a neat app that helps calculates your AT hiking distance. Enjoy.






Comments