My Silent Hiking Buddy

For most of the day I was totally alone out there. Then I passed another solo hiker taking a short break. He and I continued to pass one another for a few miles and then we ended up hiking together for about 7 miles until we got to Flint Mountain Shelter. He and I didn't talk about hiking with each other but rather our pace was the same and it was just a random thing that we were together heading in the same direction. I did learn that his name was also "Mike", but other than that we didn't talk much. Strange thing is that we both seemed okay about not taking part in too much chit-chat as we muddled our way through the wet forest. He was also solo hiking and we both seemed to understand that being alone with your own thoughts is often a great part of the hike.




Comments