Wayah Bald... What a View!




Saturday, September 15, 2012 - Since I was by myself and had a light pack, I decided to make an effort to take a lot of pictures in this hike.  About 4 miles into the hike, I came across Wayah Bald.  By the way, "Wayah" is a Cherokee word that means "wolf".  



The stone tower on Wayah Bald was originally built in 1937 as a fire tower and later renovated as a memorial to John B. Byrne (former supervisor of Nantahala National Forest). It is a beautiful structure that overlooks one of the most incredible mountain views I have ever seen. Elevation on this point is 5,342.



I stopped here for a short break to take it all in.  It was a gorgeous day and everything in the world seemed to be very still as I marveled at the view.  I was so impressed that I actually took some video footage...



Comments